I have held off making this until the calendar page turned to October. Every year it’s the first pumpkin recipe I make. It has wonderful pumpkin flavor and the cream cheese makes it extra moist.
The streusel on the top adds just the right amount of extra sweetness. I also love the little bit of crispness that contrasts to the bread. The streusel bakes into the bread, so it stays in place. Much better than a heavy streusel that falls off when you try to cut a slice.
I’m excited to share this recipe! I have made many loaves of this bread and feel that every time I eat it, I have a slice of fall in my hand. This is a very easy and quick recipe. It’s important to have your pans ready and the oven preheated. Work as quickly as you can after combining the wet and dry ingredients, don’t over mix, and put the bread in the oven right away.
I really hope you enjoy this taste of fall as much as I do.
- 2-1/2 cups sugar
- 1 pkg. (8 oz.) cream cheese, soft
- ½ cup butter or margarine
- 4 eggs
- 1 can (16 oz.) pumpkin
- 3-1/2 cups flour
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp each salt, cinnamon
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp ground cloves
- 1 cup chopped nuts, optional
- Streusel Topping
- 5 Tbsp light brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ⅛ tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 350° and prep 2 9" loaf pans.
- Combine sugar, cream cheese and butter, mixing at medium speed until well blended. Add eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Blend in pumpkin.
- Combine dry ingredients in a separate bowl. Add the dry mixture to the wet mixture, mixing just until moist. Fold in nuts.
- Pour into 2 greased and floured (I just use a baking spray) 9" loaf pans. Sprinkle the streusel over the dough.
- Bake at 350° for 1 hour or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 5-10 minutes, then remove from pans. Finish cooling on a baking rack.
- For the streusel: combine all ingredients and using your clean hands, work the butter into the other ingredients until it resembles coarse sand. Sprinkle the streusel over the dough before baking.