I don’t know what triggered my desire for a crumb cake, but I couldn’t get it out of my head, so I made one. I went looking and found one that was close to what I wanted to make. I adapted it to my taste and it turned out great. A soft cake with a moist cream cheese layer, hiding under the crumb topping….lots of crumb topping!
Crumb Cake is perfect for any time of year and you really can’t go wrong serving it as a breakfast treat but it is equally good served as a dessert, especially with a good cup of coffee after dinner. While I consider all dessert type foods as comfort food, crumb cake is right up there at the top of my comfort food list.
Pinterest size pictures:
- 1¼ cups all-purpose flour
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 large egg
- ½ cup whole milk
- 1 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 Tbsp canola oil
- Cream Cheese Layer:
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- Crumb Topping:
- 1¾ cups flour
- ½ cup packed light-brown sugar
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon (optional)
- ½ cup unsalted butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 325, spray and 8 inch square pan with baking spray.
- For the cake,whisk together the flour, granulated sugar, baking powder and salt in a large bowl. In a separate bowl, whisk together the egg, milk, vanilla and vegetable oil. Stir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, batter will be thick. Spread the batter in an even layer in the baking pan.
- For the cream cheese layer, whisk together the cream cheese, egg and granulated sugar. Spread evenly on top of the batter.
- For the crumb topping, combine the flour, brown sugar, and cinnamon (if using) in a bowl. Drizzle with melted butter, stir together until crumbs form.
- Bake at 325 for 35 minutes or until the top crumbs have just started to turn golden brown. Allow to cool to room temperature then chill until ready to use.
Adapted from:<a href=”http://domesticfits.com” title=”Domistic Fits”></a>