This is a fun cake to make for special occasions and it looks so pretty on your plate. It’s so good. It’s been a favorite cake of mine for a long time. I particularly like the explosion of flavor when I bite into a chunk of maraschino cherry.
Butter and sour cream make this a really moist cake and it keeps well too. We don’t normally eat a lot of cake but this cake is always one my family looks forward to. A scoop of ice cream adds a nice touch.
I like to use walnuts when I make it but you could use pecans or almonds, whatever your favorite nut is. I glaze this cake with a simple buttercream, spooned on top.
Note:Beat the sugar and butter (for the cake) together until very light, this could take 5 mins.
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 sticks butter
- 2 teaspoons almond extract
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 3 eggs
- 1 pint sour cream (2 cups)
- 3 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- Pinch of salt
- 1 cup chopped maraschino cherries
- 1 cup chopped nuts (walnuts, almonds or pecans)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a bundt pan and set aside.
- Cream sugar and margarine until fluffy and light.
- Add almond and vanilla extracts.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Add sour cream and blend.
- Mix dry ingredients and add, blending well.
- Fold in cherries and nuts.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for about 60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Sift 1 cup of powdered sugar into a small bowl. Blend in 2 tablespoons of very soft butter, ½ teaspoon each vanilla and almond extract. Stir in milk or cream to achieve desired consistency. I like mine to be on the heavy side. Make sure cake is cooled completely before glazing.
Pinterest sized pictures, please pin!